Monthly Archives: April 2013

Gallery

Short Idea

This gallery contains 5 photos.

Advertisements

Drawings

Running_PageAlien_idea_coloured

Model Textured

couldn’t add turbo/meshsmooth to the model because it screwed up all of the textures but still works without being smoothed. and textures and look of the model are pretty close to the original doodle.

Comparison

3D spin;

Another Doodle and Model Test

Scuba_Skull

1 4 3 2

Dip Pen Doodles

Found my old dip pen a while ago and used it for drawing details for the hut texture, what i like about using dip pen is i can just paint straight over the drawing with watercolours, or ink washes in the case of the hut. and since then i can’t seem to stop using it.

photo_1

i was talking to my little cousins and showing them my work, and they said i never do any girls and i realised i’ve never really drawn women/girls, so i messed around trying to draw girls/women and came up with this character for them.

photo photo_3 photo_2

Quick Shot Ideas

was looking through my storyboards over the weekend because i started writing a script and felt like all the shot were really quite boring, they were all pretty samesy. so i thought up these two quick shots for the start of the animation. it was pretty late when i thought them up and wanted to quickly doodle them down so i thought i try doing them digitally, so i just used the point to point lasso tool to quickly draw them out and block fill them with different shades of grey, then just add a watercolour texture over the top so they didn’t look to dis interesting  i quite like how they came out for just quick doodles with the lasso tool.

shot_ideas

Character

Here is my modeled and textured character, he has come out pretty well. i have decided to have moving textures on only the character show the character subtley stands out from the background.

rigged with CAT and posed it, and did a really quick test to see how the fire of the torch would work, i think all it needs to be in a plane with a moving texture on it and i’ll rotate the plane so its face on to the camera for each shot.

because the fire test was really quick and i didn’t even bother to do an opacity mask for it i thought i’d do more of a test just focusing on the fire, so i quickly drew a few different fire images and daved them as PNG files and imported them into After Effects to add to the rendered image of the character.

here is the same test again but in this one i was trying different effects in After Effects to give the look of old film. i tried adding a scratch  layer over the top of the video but it looked too chaotic and distracting then i tried adding a dirt layer with a multiply layer type over the image, made up of different old stained paper textures, but again this looked too distracting, i also feel the look of the changing watercolour background looks fine for turntables of the hut and characters but for the final thing i think it will be too distracting. so from that i decided to have a still of the watercolour texture in the background and just change the watercolour background as the camera angle/scene changes. in the test below i’ve tried adding the dirt layer i made to just the watercolour background and i feel it works fairly well, it also allows me full control over the dirt layer so i can increase/decrease the intensity of it.

the final video is a quick walkcycle test i did with the character, but i think it’s fair to saying animating isn’t my strongest area. i  have had to hide the cape for now because i haven’t started looking into cloth simulations for it yet and it was distracting.